Join our growing network of partners
Integrated Mountain Initiative (IMI) is a civil society led network platform with the mission to mainstream concerns of the Indian Himalayan Region (IHR) and its people in the development dialogue of India.
It functions as a platform to integrate the knowledge and experiences of multiple stakeholders working across the IHR, and uses this to inform and influence policy at the national and state level.
- Making India proud of our Mountains
- Informing policy and influencing
- Creating a platform for all stakeholders
- Integrating knowledge and experience
- Generating action on ground
IMI is driven by its values of being an Integrative, Inclusive, Collaborative, Voluntary, Passionate, Democratic, and Open institution.
Collective and Collaborative Action through members, state chapters, institutional partners and community
IMI is, essentially, a decentralized, voluntary initiative of individual members and institutions. IMI maintains a lean organizational structure with a Governing Council, elected from among life members for a three year term, and a Secretariat at its core. Members based in a mountain state come together to constitute the State Chapter of that state.
Individual members work towards executing IMI’s driving vision in their respective states and domains. IMI members, institutional and individual, are experts in disciplines that inform the establishment of sustainable development practices in the Indian Himalayas. Usually, Institutional members operate as partners.
IMI’s Institutional Members
- GB Pant National Institute of Himalayan Environment and Sustainable Development
- Divecha Centre for Climate Change at Indian Institute of Science
- Sikkim University
- Shoolini University
- Martin Luther Christian University
- ATREE, Sikkim Himalayan Development Area
- Uttarakhand State Council for Science & Technology (UCOST)
- Leadership for Environment and Development (LEAD) India
- Darjeeling Ladenla Road Prerna
- Himotkarsh Sahitya Sanskriti Avem Jankalyan
- Deer Park Institute
- Uttarakhand Gram Yan Vikash Samiti
- Uttarakhand Van Vikas Nigam
- Sarg Vikas Samiti
IMI operates as a federation of state chapters, each a community of individual members and institutions aligned to IMI’s vision.
IMI’s strength lies with its strong state chapters and their dedication towards resolving challenges faced by mountain communities. The state chapters are firmly rooted in the respective states and have institutional and individual experience of working with communities, in research and advocacy and expertise on specific mountain issues, accumulated over many years of their members’ experiences in mountain development.
Since IMI’s inception, the individual state chapters have engaged in organizing state-and-district-level seminars, creating state-specific policy briefs and cascading national mountain policy briefs. Each chapter also attempts to be a reliable source of state-specific information about sustainable development practices in the IHR. Each Chapter is hosted in an institution or organization located within the state.
It is through our state chapters that IMI is translating the dialogues and collaborations into informed action.
- Sustainable Development Forum Arunachal Pradesh (SDFA)
- Sustainable Development Forum Nagaland (SDFN)
- Eco-Tourism and Conservation Society of Sikkim (ECOSS)
- Sustainable Development Forum of Uttarakhand (SDFU)
- Mizoram Sustainable Development Foundation (MSDF)
- Development Initiative for Sustainable Advancement (DISA), Tripura
- Meghalaya Integrated Mountain Development Initiative (MIMDI)