- This event has passed.
Sustainable Mountain Development Summit 5: Ladakh
September 20, 2016 - September 22, 2016
On 1 March, 2016 the Ladakh Autonomous Hill Development Council unanimously resolved to host the next Sustainable Mountain Development Summit in Ladakh. The Summit will be held from 20-22 September 2016. Given the capacity of the city of Leh, this will be a smaller event than in previous years.
In a period that has seen to growing water scarcity issues both at a global and a national level, with severe drought affecting various parts of India, themes for SMDS-V have been selected to highlight the adverse impacts of the same in the mountain states of India, regions that are especially vulnerable to water scarcity with far reaching consequences. The summit will therefore seek inform and influence public policy and generate awareness with regard to best practices and comprehensive adaptation and mitigation strategies to strengthen resilience of mountain communities in the context of water security. Additionally, the summit will also examine the issue of skills required for the development of mountains, with an objective to bolster the spirit of entrepreneurship, add knowledge and encourage mountain communities towards sustainable practices and livelihoods.
The selected Themes and Sub-themes:
- Water Security in the Mountains
- Receding Glaciers and Snow Cover Areas
- Water for Mountain Agriculture
- Water Conservation and Preservation Techniques – Traditional and New Technologies
- Skills for Development in the Mountains
- Skills required in the Mountains
- Integration of Institutions and Individual Capability building for enhancing Sustainable Agriculture in Mountain States (FAO-TC)
- Entrepreneurship & Success Stories
Parallel events will be break-away focussed discussion groups and exhibitions that promote and build linkages between mountain states. It will provide specialized dialogues, networking and sharing of experiences and concerns for the participants. The following side events are being proposed this year:
- Policy-Makers Dialogue
- Legislators Meet
- The 5th Indian Himalayan Photography Competition and Exhibition
- Culture Panorama of Leh-Ladakh
- Ladakh Festival (optional event for delegates)
To know more, find the background note here
News about the kick-off meeting in Leh on March 1, 2016 here